Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Project SuperLeggera

Recounting the journey to complete Project SuperLeggera

My performance as a husband has, self-admittedly, been very lacking as of late.  Mother's Day was a let down this year, COVID was an excuse but really not really.  Past birthdays and Christmas presents have been wanting as I trap myself in the "...don't know if she will like this?"

Many ideas come up but the action is severely lacking.

With my wife springing a very successful surprise milestone birthday for me last year, it was only fair that I attempt the same for her this year.

Then... COVID happened.  What is even possible?  Will things open up?  Will things shut down again?  *sigh* what a world.

No more excuses though, time to forge ahead and make the best of what may come.  Here we go......!

The What
What with the COVID monkey wrench I thought about a compilation video of well wishes.  Then things started to open up, we were starting to have more park picnics with friends.  Let's try and put together a surprise party for the locals.

June 9th - send out general invite to get the ball rolling, no idea what, but maybe a when, the weekend before the big day.  Phew, one item off the checklist.


Already...?
A few hours later, would you believe it... an invitee almost gets me busted!

[Background]: the e-mail went out to my wife's friends, mutual friends, etc.  I typically use BCC for group e-mails like this, so I was afraid SPAM filters might catch it.  In case my wife happened to look at my e-mail/phone, I also decided to use a semi-cryptic subject: Project SuperLeggera.  You can see where this is going...

Invitee (to remain unnamed unless they identify themselves) sees this odd looking e-mail from me (they have received e-mails from me before) and proceeds to message my wife directly asking "did your husband send this email?", wife turns to me and repeats the question.

Totally unprepared to be caught this early in the game, I didn't know how to respond and almost gave it up.  I recovered just enough to brush it off as "no, must be phishing, tell them to delete it".  She proceeds to show me the SCREENSHOT the invitee sent her.  I can see the email subject AND the FIRST FEW LINES OF THE EMAIL in the screenshot!!!  By sheer coincidence, I had put some text at the beginning of the e-mail that did not give everything away. *phew*

My c-grade acting seems to have worked... although she questions my reaction, I make up a story about how she asked the question.  Disaster averted!

I wait a few hours and then private message the invitee directly and explain the deal.

Sadly, now the awesome mission name has been compromised and only one further e-mail will go out to update the project name.  I really am over complicating things, but where's the fun in simple?  Am I right?

No comments:

Post a Comment